W. H. and G. Dawes
of Denby Iron Works, Derby (1862)
of Trent Works at Frodingham
1859 William Henry and George Dawes, ironmasters, needed ore for their works at Milton and Elsecar, near Barnsley, and took trial quantities of the newly discovered Frodingham ironstone. The Dawes made an agreement with Rowland Winn of Appleby Hall to lease land at Appleby.
The Dawes built 3 furnaces for processing the ore on land east of Scunthorpe, the Trent Iron Works. These were the first processing operations in the area in modern times, soon followed by Frodingham Iron Co, Lincolnshire Iron Smelting Co, North Lincolnshire Iron Works and Redbourn Hill Iron and Coal Co.
1866 W. H. and G. Dawes was established
1878 William Henry Dawes died
1888 Building a steel works to join their four furnaces.