W. Ottway and Co
of Orion Works, (Adjoining Town Hall), Ealing, London, W5. Telephone: Ealing 5844. Cables: "Orionid, Ealux, London". Code: A.B.C. 5th Edition
1640 Established (according to advertisement)
1947 May. British Industries Fair Advert for Prisms. Manufacturers of Surveying, Mining and Geophysical Instruments; Observation, Reconnaissance and Gun Sighting Telescopes; Astronomical Telescopes and allied equipment; Optical Alignment and Measuring Instruments; Students' and Workshop Microscopes; Optical Components; General Scientific Equipment. (Scientific and Optical Section) 
1947 September. Advertisement for skilled optical turners required.
1947 October. Restructure of the business. '...a General Meeting of the Members of the above named Company will be held at Orion Works, Ealing, London, W.5, on Thursday the 13th day of November, 1947 at 2.30 o'clock in the afternoon, for the purpose of having an account laid before them, and to receive the Liquidator's report, showing how the winding-up of the Company has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of...' '...the liquidation being for the purpose of the reconstruction of the Company...'
1953 On the death of Walter Thomas Ottway, managing director of the firm, it was continued by Geoffrey Ottway (son of Charles Edward Ottway).
1963 Taken over by Hilger and Watts.
Sources of Information
- Mosquito by C. Martin Sharp and Michael J. F. Bowyer. Published by Crecy Books in 1995. ISBN 0-947554-41-6
- 1947 British Industries Fair Advert 413; and p207
- Daily Herald - Thursday 25 September 1947
- The London Gazette Publication date:7 October 1947 Issue:38091 Page:4722
- The London Gazette Publication date:2 May 1947 Issue:37945 Page:1968
- 1951 Directory for the British Glass Industry: Users O