Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,535 pages of information and 233,960 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Wallsend Power Station

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Wallsend, Newcastle

Also known as Neptune Bank Power Station.

1899 the Walker and Wallsend Union Gas Co. obtained Parliamentary powers to supply the urban districts of Wallsend and Willington with electric power

1900 January: began the erection of a power-station on a site midway between Carville and Walker, close to the riverside branch of the North Eastern Railway, to the designs of Mr. C. H. Merz.

1900 October: the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co. purchased the entire plant put down by the Gas Company, with the exception of the cables and sub-station machinery installed for the purpose of supplying the works in the area. The Supply Co. further entered into an agreement with the Gas Co., in which the latter undertook to buy electricity in bulk from the former.

The Supply Co. also obtained powers authorising them to lay high-tension cables from their power-house at Wallsend to various sub-stations in Newcastle. At the same time they decided to change their entire system of supply, which, up to this date, had been by means of single-phase alternating current, generated at Pandon Dene Power-Station, at a pressure of 2,000 volts, with house-to-house transformers. The new scheme, for which Mr. C. H. Merz has acted as Consulting Engineer, included the generation of three-phase current at 5,500 volts, having a periodicity of 40 cycles per second, and the transformation of the same to continuous current by means of motor generators in sub-stations designed to have a total capacity of 2,000 kilowatts each.

1901 'Electric Power Station at Wallsend'.
'The first electric power supply company to commence operation has its power station at Wallsend, and was inaugurated on Tuesday by Lord Kelvin. In the station there is at present 5,000 horse power installed,and before the end of the summer this figure will be doubled. Steam is supplied by means of water-tube boilers, Babcock and Wilcox make. There are three main engines, each of 1,400 horse power, and of the triple expansion type, one having been built by the Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Company, and the others by Messrs Wigham Richardson and Co. The electric generators are of the Thomson-Houston Company’s manufacture. They are of the revolving field magnet type, and generate three-phase currents at a pressure of 5,500 volts. In the various yards in the district electricity is supplied under widely different conditions, and to all kinds of machine tools, and has resulted in doing away with long lengths of wasteful steam piping as well as with much belting, thus minimising the transmiss[ion] losses. <br.There was a considerable number of guests at the opening of the new station, and they had a most interesting day, having the privilege of witnessing the formal commencement of what seems likely to develop into enormous industry. They gathered at the Central Station in Newcastle, and were taken by special train to Carville, on the riverside line, whence they were conveyed in carriages to the power station, at Neptune Ranks. Here they saw and admired the electrical installation - the huge water-tube boilers, working at a pressure of 200 lbs. ; the economiser, which raises the feed water up to a temperature of 212 degrees, the three triple-expansion engines, each capable of indicating 1,400 horse power ; the three-phase alternators, of the Thomson-Houston make, generating three-phase currents at a pressure of from 5,500 to 6,000 volts and perodicity of 40 complete cycles per second ; the switch-boards ; and outside the beautiful cooling pond and the tall chimney, 150 feet high. After half-an-hour’s stay in the power house the visitors proceeded in carriages to the Northumberland Forge, to visit the North-Eastern Marine Engineering Company's works, and the sub-station which supplies electric energy to them. Thence they went to Willington Quay to inspect the electric installation of the Northumberland Shipbuilding Company, Limited, and left by carriage for the drill hall, Walker, passing on the way the works of Messrs. Wigham Richardson and Co. and Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth, and Co., to which electric energy is supplied from the power station. the drill hall the. guests were entertained to luncheon the chairmen and directors the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co. and the Walker and Wallsend Union Gas Co., who are responsible for the undertaking.

'Sir Andrew Noble, K.C.B., presided at the luncheon, and was supported by Lord Kelvin, Dr. G. T. Merz, Ald. T. G. Gibson, Dr. R. Spence Watson, Mr J. H. Armstrong, and F. W. Dendy, the Newcastle Electric Supply Company : Mr T. Crawford, Mr G. A. Allen, Mr J. R. Lownds, and C. W. Mitchell, of the Walker and Union Gas Company.

'Lord Kelvin said they had been spendinga most interesting afternoon. They had seen at work what many them had never seen before — a system realised in which a central station developed power by steam engines, and delivered it by electricity to consumers, at a distance varying from a quarter of a mile to three and a half miles. Having seen the Tyneside electrical supply actually at work, he thought he was entitled to declare that the Tyneside electrical supply was now inaugurated and in active work, performing the function for which it was called into existence. (Applause.) He formally declared the electric supply Tyneside now open. (Applause.) It was only the beginning, a scale which a few years ago they would have called a very large scale, but which the Newcastle Electric Supply Company now regarded as only a small part what it was going to do. At the Neptune Bank station they had seen electric generators — generators on the three-phase system electric supply — and they had seen on the ground floor, actually at work, and ready to work, over 4,500 horse-power - 3,000 horse power actually working by two engines of 1,500 horse-power each, but another one standing by, ready to start - he thought he might say in a few minutes if wanted — and to be called upon to run with the other two in doing work the if load became somewhat heavier, as it did that morning. A larger station was in prospect; larger works were contemplated. It was a comparatively small start, but the Neptune Bank station had been admirably begun. What was contemplated by the Newcastle Electric Supply Company to do in the future — what it was doing now - was to give power to large consumers on the three-phase system; to give power for consumers taking perhaps from 200 to 500 horse-power, using that most admirable motor, the three-phase motor, worked by the triple conductor current on the three-phase system ; given into the factories at high pressure, and transformed through stationary transformers to three-phase work at pressure suitable for direct connection with generators scattered through the works. This was the first and from one point of view the largest field operation proposed by the Newcastle Electric Supply Company. The second, third, and fourth objects were under full consideration, and were partly in practice at the present time. The second object was to supply low tension direct current for lighting and power. It was anticipated that for small users this system might be preferred to the three-phase system, not merely in connection with the greatness of the quantity taken, but from certain considerations regarding the convenience in use. They had seen both systems that day. They had seen the North-Eastern Marine Engineering Works using low pressure, very much smaller than the 5,500 volts - 500 continuous or direct current — driving motors throughout the works. In the yard they saw a 90-ton load under a sheer-legs, driven a direct power motor. They saw cranes of various powers, all working, or ready to work, by these motors. They saw travelling crane over the whole length of one of the main shops; and they saw side by side with it a square shaft the whole length of the shop, rotating - a monument the past. (Hear, hear.) It was not doing work that day, but it was ready to do work.' [1]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Jarrow Express - Friday 21 June 1901