Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,403 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Walter James Wood (1862-1939)
1862 Born in Scarborough
1901 Walter J Wood 39, consulting engineer and marine surveyor, working on own account, lived in Grimsby with Annie J Wood 39, Elsie A Wood 10, Edwin L Wood 8, Walter B Wood 3, Ethel C Wood 1
1939 Died in Louth, Lincs
1939 Obituary 
"WALTER JAMES WOOD was born in 1862 and educated at Leeds Mechanics Institute and Elmfield College, York. He served his apprenticeship at the works of the Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Ltd., Hull, from 1877 to 1882. He then served a year in the merchant service as a junior engineer. In 1883 he entered the drawing office of the Guion works, Liverpool, and after four months he became a junior engineer in Guion liners. Having passed the examination for a second engineer's certificate, he joined the Macivers Line as a senior engineer and served eighteen months on troop-ship service. The last five years of his service at sea, which terminated in 1892, were spent as a chief engineer, with a first class certificate, mainly with the Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Ltd.
In 1892 he went into practice as a consulting engineer and marine surveyor in Grimsby. He acted in this capacity for a number of important bodies, including the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom from 1902 to 1922, the Fishery Board for Scotland from 1904 to 1905, and the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries from 1911 to 1932. The latter body consulted him in connexion with vessels chartered or owned for the purpose of scientific research. He also acted as consultant to the Ceylon Pearl Fisheries from 1908 to 1910, as well as to the Japanese Government in 1911-12, with regard to the purchase of fishing vessels, and to the Turkish Government in 1931, in connexion with scientific research in Turkish waters. From 1913 he served as a Home Office Nautical Assessor, from which post he retired in 1927.
During the War, from 1916 to 1918, he was marine superintendent to the Restriction of Enemy Supplies Department, and after the War, from 1918 to 1920, he was surveyor for the Director of Transports and Shipping in the release of vessels from Government war service. He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1904, and he died on 15th March 1939."