Waterford and Kilkenny Railway
1845 Incorporated on 21st July.
1848 Kilkenny to Thomastown section of the railway completed. Thomastown station was a Tudor Revival building which opened 1848.
Act was put forward in 1866 to create a new company called the Central Ireland Railways.
1868 Name changed to Waterford & Central Ireland Railway
1883 The line to Mountmellick was opened, the final destination of the entire line.
The Thomastown Viaduct
Completed in 1850, the line from Thomastown to Jerpoint Hill needed a viaduct to span the river Nore. Work was started in 1846 to the designs of engineer Captain William Moorsom. The viaduct was 250ft long and 78ft above the river. Although only one line was ever built, it was constructed for two lines at 25ft wide. The new iron viaduct had Charles Richard Galwey as the engineer and it was completed in 1877, replacing the older wooden viaduct.