Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Waterloo Bridge is an early cast iron bridge, spanning the River Conwy at Betws-y-Coed, in Conwy county borough, north-west Wales and designed by Thomas Telford. The ironwork was produced by William Hazledine at Plas Kynaston.
The bridge is located about half a mile south-east of the village. An inscription on the arch records that it was constructed in the year of the Battle of Waterloo, but although designed and constructed in 1815, its erection was not completed that year. It was raised as part of building the road from London to Holyhead (now the A5).
In 1923, the bridge’s masonry abutments were refurbished, and its superstructure was strengthened by encasing the inner three ribs in concrete. A 7" reinforced cantilevered concrete deck was also added, which provided extra space for new footways; the cast iron parapet railings were re-erected on the outside of the new footways. Mouchel and Partners were the engineers.
In 1978, a new 10"/250mm reinforced concrete deck was added and the masonry abutments were also strengthened.