Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,706 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
1830 Flint Glass Works to be sold. 'The old-established current-going FLINT-GLASS MANUFACTORY, which has been carried on for many years by Mr White and the late Mr. Young, and known by the name of THE WEAR FLINT-GLASS WORKS; advantageously situated at Deptford, in the parish of Bishopwearmouth, in the county of Durham, on the south side of, and adjoining the navigable River Wear, and within a short distance of the town and port of Sunderland, consisting of an eight-pot FURNACE, two LEARS, several POT-ROOMS and WARE-ROOMS, an eight-horse-power condensing STEAM ENGINE, and MACHINERY attached for the cutting and engraving of Glass on an extensive scale, a CUTTING-ROOM, a DWELLING-HOUSE for the Manager or Clerk, another DWELLING-HOUSE, recently built, adapted for the resident Partner, HOUSES for the Workmen, containing in all about twenty-eight rooms, and other appropriate Buildings. The ground is about fifty yards in extent next the river, and about ninety yards in depth, and the Premises were expressly fitted up for the purpose of carrying the Flint-Glass Trade. This valuable concern possesses the advantage of an old, extensive, and highly respectable connection throughout England and Scotland, and is peculiarly worthy the attention of a Gentleman of capital, or Company disposed to embark in the Business, as being the only Flint Glass Manufactory on the river Wear; and now offered for sale in consequence of the recent death of Young, and the general ill health of White, the only surviving proprietor.'