Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Wellworthy Piston Rings Limited of Radial Works, Lymington, Hants.
of 143 Suffolk Street, Birmingham. Telephone: Birmingham, Midland 0638/9. Telegraphic Address: "Wellworthy, Midland, 0638, Birmingham". (1937)
1912 The firm of Wellworthy Ltd had its earliest roots before the first World War, in a small firm called South Coast Garages of Lymington, which in 1912 came under the ownership of an experienced and dynamic engineer called John Howlett. He diversified into the mass production of piston rings. 
1919 The name of the Company was changed to Wellworthy - the original factory standing on a well and a "worthy" being the Wessex name for a ring around a well. Finance provided by George Henry Alexander, Mr. Gray and Mr. John Howlett.
1936 The Company went public as Wellworthy Piston Rings Limited.
1937 Piston and piston ring manufacturers. "Surelock" Valve Seat Inserts. "Thermocrom" Piston Rings. "Wellworthy" Piston Rings. 
1937 Patent - Split piston-rings. 
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Wellworthy compression and Scraper Rings. Superslot Oil Control Rings. Wellworthy simplex Patent Piston Rings. Wellworthy "Welflex" Patent Compensating Pistons (Patent No. 7d. 36625 and 426190\0. "Surelock" Valve Seat Inserts (Patent No. 408507). Liners. (Stand No. D.329) 
1939 Patent - Split piston-rings. 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1952 Wellworthy dropped the reference to piston rings and shortened their name to Wellworthy.
1961 Manufacturers of pistons, piston rings, cylinder liners, valve seats, retaining rings and powder handling compressors. 3,300 employees. 
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Pistons etc. 
By 1966 they had become a major producer of components for the motor industry and were expanding rapidly.