Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1799 The West India Docks were authorised by the West India Dock Act 1799 - the first parliamentary (as opposed to municipal) Act for dock building.
The Docks were constructed in two phases. The two northern-most docks were constructed between 1800 and 1802 (officially opened on 27 August 1802) for the West India Dock Company to a design by leading civil engineer William Jessop; John Rennie (the elder) was a consultant; Thomas Morris (Liverpool's third dock engineer) was also involved; these docks were the first commercial wet docks in London.
Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger and Lord Chancellor Lord Loughborough attended the foundation stone ceremony on 12 July 1800; Milligan and Hibbert were also commemorated for their part in the ceremony.
1829 The Company acquired the City Canal (built in 1805 by the City of London Corporation)
The southern-most dock, the South West India Dock, later known as South Dock, was constructed in the 1860s, replacing the unprofitable City Canal.