Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Whelpdale, Maxwell and Codd of 17-23 Wigmore Street, London, W1. Telephone: Langham 14232-4. Cables: "Welpiano, Wesdo, London". (1947)
Welmar Pianos, London
Known as Whelpdale Maxwell and Codd Ltd (WMC).
1876 Company established
Originally the company was set up as British agents for importing Bluthners from Leipzig.
1938 A fire at the Squire and Longson factory provided WMC with fully trained staff who produced the Welmar and Marshall and Rose ranges of pianos. They also kept the "Bluthner Pianos, UK" name, although there is no connection between them and the real Julius Bluthner of Leipzig.
1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of the "Welmar" Upright and Grand Pianofortes of various modern designs, in any available woods and if desired, of special constrution throughout, for use in Tropical Climates. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. C.1556) 
Welmar pianos are probably the best pianos still made in the UK and still retain some of the Bluthner characteristics.
1993 Took over the Bentley Piano Co, which included some of the famous British names such as Hopkinson and Rogers. Production of Bentley pianos was moved to the Clapham Park factory, following the original specifications.
WMC also owned Knight.