Whippet Motor and Cycle Co
of Whippet Works, Falcon Terrace, Clapham Junction, London
Whippet were motorcycles produced from 1903 to 1905. Two machines were exhibited at the late-1903 Crystal Palace show, fitted with a two-speed gear. This comprised two chain wheels of different diameters, fitted to the rear hub and a device to shift the drive chain from one to the other, just as on a bicycle. One machine was a solo fitted with an FN engine, the other a forecar powered by a 3.25hp Aster engine.
1900. Whippet Free-Wheel Trailer. Made by the Whippet Cycle Syndicate, 282 Oxford Street.
Sources of Information
- Field - Saturday 12 May 1900
- London Daily News - Saturday 14 November 1903
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw. Published 2007. ISBN 978 1 8401 3967 9