Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Wilfrid Noyce Kernot

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Professor Wilfrid Noyce Kernot (1868-1945)

1945 Obituary [1]

Professor WILFRID NOYCE KERNOT was born at Geelong, Victoria, on the 18th July, 1868, and died in Melbourne on the 17th May, 1945.

He was educated at Flinders School, Geelong, and pursued his technical studies at the Melbourne University Engineering School, where he obtained the degrees of B.C.E., and M.I.Mech.E. He received his practical training with the firm of Anderson, Kernot and Thomas, consulting engineers, for whom he carried out work on the construction of several important bridges in Victoria, gaining a prize of €220 for a road bridge at Spencer Street, Melbourne.

In 1894 he started a private practice as a Consulting Engineer in Victoria, and in this capacity he acted for the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works, the Metropolitan Gas Company, various Shire Councils, and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.

In 1897 he was appointed Lecturer in charge of the Engineering Department of the Melbourne Technical College, the work of which progressed rapidly under his direction. In 1904-5 he visited Europe and America to gain experience in education and engineering.

In 1910 he joined the staff of the Engineering School at the University of Melbourne and collaborated with the late Professor Henry Payne, M. Inst. C.E., in the lay-out and equipment of the School.

On Professor Payne's retirement, he was appointed to the Chair of Engineering and also acted as Dean of the Faculties of Engineering and Architecture until his own retirement in February 1937. He was a member of the Council of the Melbourne Technical College from 1913 until his death, and was President of the Council in 1920. The Kernot Engineering Wing at the College was named after him and his brother, the late Professor W. C. Kernot, M. Inst. C.E.

During the fist World War he was a member of various War Committees, including those for the manufacture of steel for shells, gauges for shells, and for inquiry into alcohol and alcohol engines....[more]

See Also


Sources of Information