Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,117 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Anderson (1836-1910) of Head, Wrightson and Co
1910 Obituary 
WILLIAM ANDERSON was born at Buntingford, Herts, on 18th July 1836.
He received his early training as an engineer at the Elswick Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where, after leaving school early, he commenced an apprenticeship. During that period he was engaged upon the construction of the first Armstrong gun.
On the termination of his apprenticeship he went to London and served six years in the office of Sir A. M. Rendel, the well-known civil engineer.
In 1870 he became manager of the works of Messrs. Head, Wrightson and Co., at Stockton-on-Tees, and on the conversion of the firm into a company in 1890, he became managing director.
Six years after his arrival in the district, he began to take an active part in local affairs. He served on the South Stockton Local Board, the predecessor of the Thornaby Town Council, from 1876 to 1892, when the Board was dissolved on the granting of the charter of incorporation. On the election of the first Council, he had the honour of signing the roll as the first Councillor, the first Alderman, and the first Mayor. The latter office he held five times, in recognition of which he was presented with the Freedom of the Town in 1910, being the first Freeman to be enrolled. He represented the Corporation of Thornaby-on-Tees on the Tees Valley Water Board, and was a member of the Tees Port Sanitary Authority.
On the occasion of the Summer Meeting of this Institution in Middlesbrough in 1893, Mr. Anderson, who was then Mayor of Thornaby, received the Members and conducted them over the works of Messrs. Head, Wrightson and Co.
His death took place at his residence in Stockton, after a short illness, on 5th April 1910, in his seventy-fourth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1891; he was also a Member of The Institution of Civil Engineers.
1911 Obituary 
WILLIAM ANDERSON, born in Hertfordshire in 1836, died at Rimswell, Stockton-on-Tees, on the 5th April, 1910.
After serving his apprenticeship at the Elswick Works, Newcastle, he was successively assistant to Sir Alexander M. Rendel and manager of the Bridgwater Ironworks.
In 1870 he became General Manager and Engineer of the Teesdale Ironworks of Messrs. Head, Wrightson and Co., being elected managing director on its conversion to limited liability.
Mr. Anderson was elected a Member of The Institution on the 5th February, 1878.
1910 Obituary 
WILLIAM ANDERSON died at his residence, Remswell, Stockton, on April 5, 1910. He was trained at the Elswick Works, and was employed during the construction of the first Armstrong gun.
He had, since 1870, been associated with the works of Head, Wrightson & Company, Ltd., Thornaby-on-Tees, of which he was one of the managing directors.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1883.