William Borthwick Smith
William Borthwick Smith (c1842-c1916) of Smith, Starley and Co
c1842 Born at Evesham
1867 Patent to William Borthwick Smith, watchmaker for 'improved construction of lever-watch movements' 
1869 Patent to William Borthwick Smith, watch manufacturer for 'improvements in the construction of watches, chronometers, and other timekeepers.'
1871 Living at Leamington (age 29 born Evesham), Wholesale Watch Manufacturer.
1871 William Borthwick Smith joined James Starley in business as Smith, Starley and Co at St. Agnes Lane, Hales Street to manufacture the "Europa" sewing machine which had been patented by James Starley that year and the "Ariel" bicycle.
1873 Patent 'to William Borthwick Smith and James Starley, both of St. Agnes Works, Coventry, in the county of Warwick, for the invention of "improvements in sewing machinery." '
1875 of Junction-street, Coventry. Chronometers and watches, cases and dials, processes.
1877 January. Voluntary liquidation of Smith and Starley. 'William Borthwick Smith, residing at lodgings at No. 23, Warwick-row, in the city of Coventry, and James Starley, residing at No. 18, Upper Well-street, in the said city of Coventry. Copartners in Trade, carrying on business at the Trafalgar Works, Crow-lane, in the city of Coventry, and at No. 11, Bridge-end, Leeds, in the county of York, as Machinists and Mechanical Engineers, under the style or firm of Smith and Starley.' 
1911 Living at Goodrest, Record Road, Emsworth (age 69 born Evesham), a Retired Engineer and Cycle Manufacturer and a Widower. No children but has an adopted daughter Dora Lilian Davidson. 
1916 Legal notice regarding the deceased. 'William Borthwick Smith, late of "Goodrest," Park-crescent, Emsworth, in the county of Hants, deceased (who died on the 24th day of February, 1916,'
Sources of Information
-  Gazette Issue 23303 published on the 20 September 1867. Page 11 of 48
-  Gazette Issue 23499 published on the 21 May 1869. Page 16 of 56
- 1871 census
-  Gazette Issue 23941 published on the 24 January 1873. Page 29 of 60
-  Gazette Issue 24272 published on the 3 December 1875. Page 49 of 94
-  Gazette Issue 24183 published on the 23 February 1875. Page 22 of 52
-  Gazette Issue 24422 published on the 20 February 1877. Page 84 of 94
- 1911 Census
-  Gazette Issue 29698 published on the 8 August 1916. Page 61 of 90