Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Casson (1873-1915)
1915 Obituary 
Captain WILLIAM CASSON was born at Portmadoc on 18th August 1873.
He was educated at the Grammar School, Ruthin, North Wales, and at the City and Guilds Central Technical College, where he obtained the Diploma of Associate of the City and Guilds Institute.
In 1899 he became engaged, together with Mr. H. F. Parshall, on designing, erecting, and testing. He was chiefly concerned with the work of planning and building the London United Tramways and the electrification of the District and Metropolitan Railways.
He joined the staff of the Central London Railway as chief assistant to Mr. Grove in 1907, and remained as chief assistant to Mr. Agnew after the amalgamation of the Central London with the Metropolitan Railway.
Captain Casson was an enthusiastic member of various Volunteer Regiments for twenty-five years. He attained his rank in 1903 in the 7th Battalion, the London Regiment, and at the outbreak of war undertook Imperial Service obligations. On 25th September 1915 he was commanded to lead the British attack at Loos on the extreme right flank, and to seize and hold a dangerous but highly important position. This he accomplished with a skill and courage that was the admiration of all who witnessed it, but he was instantaneously killed by a sniper as he stood on the parapet of the trench rallying his men.
He was elected an Associate Member of this Institution in 1904, and was transferred to full Membership in 1912.
1916 Obituary 
WILLIAM CASSON was born at Portmadoc on the 18th August, 1873.
He was educated at Ruthin Grammar School and afterwards at the Central Technical College, London.
From 1893 to 1895 he was employed with the Electrical Installation Company; after which he was for four years at the Elswick works of Armstrong, Whitworth and Company in the electrical design department.
In 1899 he joined the staff of Mr. H. F. Parshall, where he was chiefly concerned with the planning and construction of the London United Tramways, and with the electrification of the District and Metropolitan Railways, more particularly in connection with the arbitration between the District and Metropolitan Railways in regard to the form of traction to be adopted on the Inner Circle.
In 1895 he was appointed sub-station engineer on the Underground Railways, and remained in charge until 1907 when he joined the staff of the Central London Railway as chief assistant engineer.
When the operation of the Central London Railway was taken over by the Underground Electric Railways Company he was appointed chief assistant to the mechanical engineer on the construction of new rolling stock.
He was an enthusiastic Volunteer for several years, and reached the rank of Captain of the 7th Battalion of the London Regiment in 1903. During attacking operations in France on the 25th September, 1915, he was ordered to lead the Battalion to a position on the extreme right flank, which was a dangerous but highly important position. This he accomplished with a skill which was the admiration of all who witnessed it, but he was shot by a sniper as he stood on the parapet rallying his men.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1901 and a Member in 1912.