William Ernest Double (1881-1941)
1941 Obituary 
WILLIAM ERNEST DOUBLE was principal of the School of Engineering in Ipswich, having held that position since 1924. He also acted as supervisor of practical instruction in elementary schools. He was born in 1881 and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies, Ltd., from 1895 to 1902.
After being engaged for a short period with Messrs. Reavell and Company, by whom he was employed in erecting and fitting high-speed engines, he entered the service of Ipswich Education Authority and from 1904 to 1917 held the appointment of instructor in woodwork and metalwork. He then became foreman in the brass shop of Messrs. Ransomes, and later became welfare supervisor at the Plough works of that firm, and was responsible for the technical training of apprentices.
Mr. Double was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1924 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1938.