William Gaymer and Son
Gaymers of Attleborough, Norfolk. Telephone: Attleborough 4. Cables: "Gaymers, Attleboro', England".
The first of the Gaymers to make cyder was probably Robert Gaymer (1738-1821). He farmed at Banham, near Attleborough in Norfolk.
He was succeeded by his son John (1770-1843) - sometimes known as "Long John" - who was somewhat of a local character, and stood 6 feet 10 and a half inches tall.
John was encouraged by his father-in-law, Joseph Chapman, to improve his cyder making methods, which he passed on to his son, William (1805-1884). Joseph Chapman had made a special study of the subject.
The real founder of the present business was the second Mr William Gaymer (1842-1936). He also followed the farming activities of his father and grandfather, but became much more interested in cyder as a commercial proposition.
1870 Against his father's wishes, who hated change, he developed the sale of cyder from Banham and introduced the first hydraulic press. This was the first major development in production methods and was comparable to the advance made 101 years later when the Bucher-Guyer press was installed at Attleborough.
1896 A new factory was built on the present site at Attleborough; this expansion was required to meet the demands of a growing home and export trade via the railway.
1906 The Company was incorporated, and Mr William Chapman Gaymer (1882-1970), as Managing Director, was responsible for the progress at that time. On the death of his father, he became Chairman.
1929 Listed Exhibitor. Purveyors by Royal Appointment to His Majesty King George V of Cyder. "Champagne of England". Specialising in Export and Ships' Stores. Supplied H.M.S. "Renown" and "Repulse" for H.R.H. the prince of Wales' tours. (Stand No. K.34) 
1931 Mr William C. C. Gaymer, the eldest son of William C. Gaymer, and grandson of the company's founder, joined the Company.
1933 Another son, Maurice joined the firm (he was subsequently killed at Singapore in 1942 whilst serving with the Royal Norfolk Regiment). The Company received its first Royal Warrant for the supply of cyder to His Royal Highness, the then Prince of Wales.
1940 The factory was seriously damaged by bombing, and production was badly affected but, with a small staff, output was maintained under great difficulties.
1947 Complete reconstruction took place and the factory took on its present appearance. William C. Gaymer was a founder member and first president of the National Association of Cider Makers and its Chairman on many occasions.
1961 The Gaymer family continued to run the company, until it was taken over by Showerings.
1970 William C. Gaymer died at the age of 88 after 74 years' with the Company.
1988 The current Royal Warrant being granted by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.
Gaymer cyder production ceased in Attleborough in the mid-1990s and operations moved to Somerset.
Sources of Information
- 1929 British Industries Fair Page 66
-  Gaymer History
- Trademarked. A History of Well-Known Brands - from Aertex to Wright's Coal Tar by David Newton. Pub: Sutton Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-0-7509-4590-5