Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,112 pages of information and 233,645 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Lawson (1871-1935)
1935 Obituary 
WILLIAM LAWSON took a leading part in the early development of gas engine plants in England and was also associated with the introduction of plant for the utilization of blast furnace gases.
He was born at Hylton, Co. Durham, in 1871 and became an apprentice in the Sunderland works of Messrs. W. Doxford and Sons, Ltd., in 1886, serving for five years.
He became a draughtsman at Messrs. Richardsons, Westgarth and Company, Ltd., in 1896 and in 1897 was appointed assistant outside manager. In 1900 he was promoted to be assistant general manager.
He went to Berlin in the following year as manager under Mr. A. E. Henrici of a firm manufacturing patent rotary piston engines. In addition he studied the development of the Cockerill gas engine on the Continent, in order to investigate its possible application in England.
On his return to this country he rejoined Messrs. Richardsons, Westgarth, and commenced his work on the design and erection of large engines to utilize blast furnace gas, which were the first of their kind in England.
Mr. Lawson then joined the British Westinghouse Electrical and Manufacturing Company, Ltd., as sales manager of the gas engine department.
Latterly, Mr. Lawson had been in business on his own account as a consulting engineer; he also acted as agent for several British engineering firms.
His death occurred in Stockton on Tees on 28th August 1935.
He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1902.