Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Michael Rogerson (1872-1927)
1927 Obituary 
WILLIAM MICHAEL ROGERSON, who died suddenly in Halifax on the 16th June, 1927, was born in the neighbouring town of Bradford on the 31st March, 1872.
He was educated at the Nottingham High School, and in 1886 commenced a short apprenticeship with Messrs. E. Reader and Sons, engine builders, of Nottingham.
In 1887 he was apprenticed as an electrical engineer to Mr. R. Scott, of Acton, London, serving in this capacity for a period of four years, during which time he carried out the installation and had charge of the electrical exhibit at the Naval Exhibition, Chelsea.
In 1893 he was appointed assistant engineer to the Maxim Weston Electrical Engineering Co., and after serving for some months with this company took up the position of assistant engineer to the Woking Electric Supply Co.
From 1894 to the end of 1901 he was chief assistant engineer in the Nottingham Corporation Electricity Department.
In January 1902 he entered the service of the Halifax Corporation as borough electrical engineer, which position he filled to the time of his death. When he went to Halifax the plant capacity of the power station there was 3 000 kW and the number of units generated for the year was 2 001 181. The plant capacity is now 31 000 kW and the number of units generated per annum is 32 032 418. This has been accomplished in face of very great difficulties, the site presenting many problems from an engineering standpoint. The manner in which he overcame these difficulties has been the subject of much admiration. During his management there has also been a corresponding development of the mains network.
In addition to being a capable engineer, he was also a keen and energetic commercial manager, and the rapid growth of the undertaking furnishes ample testimony to this.
His last work of importance was his collaboration in the interconnection of the Halifax and Huddersfield power stations, and it affords some satisfaction to know that he saw this scheme completed and the line in commission. During the War he served as a Captain in the Halifax Volunteer Corps, and rendered good service to that body. His loss will be felt hot only by those who came in daily contact with him and by whom he was held in great respect and esteem, but by the electrical industry as a whole, being, as he was, a man of wonderful vitality and a great optimist, with the well-being of the industry always at heart.
He joined the Institution as an Associate in 1894, and was elected an Associate Member in 1899 and a Member in 1907.