Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,098 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Robert Green (1838-1910) partner and director of R. Waygood and Co
Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers of Forest Hill.
Worked for R. Waygood and Co for about 50 years, of which he became a Partner, Director and Consulting Engineer.
1838 Born at Poole, nephew of Richard Waygood
Served apprenticeship with Gourlay Brothers and Co, Marine Engineers in Dundee.
After serving with the Navy as an engineer on HMS Radamanthus, he started work with his uncle Richard.
1861 Living at Oakfield Road, Battersea: Richard Waygood (age 50 born Beaminster. With his wife Chatfield T. Waygood (age 25 born Poole) and their daughter Annie Waygood (age 9 born St. John's Wood). Also two visitors Richard Swatridge (age 19 born Beaminster) and William R. Green (age 22 born Poole), Engineer. One servant.
1881 Living at 17 Clifton Road, Camberwell: William R. Green (age 43 born Poole), Engineer Master - Widower. With his three children; Mabel Green (age 10 born Peckham); David Green (age 9 born Peckham); and Fredrk. Green (age 9 born Peckham). Also his sister Mary Oliver Green (age 23 born Newfoundland). Two servants.
1887 Patent. 5520. William Robert Green, Newington Iron Works, Falmouth Road, London, 'improvements in hydrulic lifts'
1910 Obituary. 
We regret to have to announce the death on Sunday, the 6th inst., at Forest Hill, of Mr. William Robert Green, M.I.Mech.E., who was for about half a century associated with R. Waygood and Co., Limited, lift and crane manufacturers.
Mr. Green was born at Poole in 1838, and served his apprenticeship with Gourlay Bros., marine engineers, in Dundee.
After about four years' service in the Royal Navy, as engineer on the Radamanthus, he joined his uncle, the late Richard Waygood, who had founded the present business, in 1833, at Beaminster, Dorset, and who had removed it to London, in 1840, to works in Newington-causeway.
Mr. Green, who subsequently became a partner, contributed very largely to the rapid development of the business in the new works.
Later on, when the business was formed into a private limited company, Mr. Green was made a director, and since his retirement two or three years ago, he has acted as consulting engineer to the company. He was highly respected by a large circle of friends.