William Smith (1825-1878)
William Smith (1825-1878), of Salisbury St, Adelphi, London (1866)
1857 of 18 Salisbury Street, Adelphi, London.
1871 William Smith 46, pensioner, lived in Liverpool with Eliza Smith 40 and William Smith 9
1878 June 28th. Died.
1879 Obituary 
WILLIAM SMITH, whose father, Andrew Smith, was the inventor of the wire rope, and of machinery for the manufacture of hemp and wire ropes, was born in London on 5th November 1825, and died in Liverpool on 28th June 1878 in the fifty-third year of his age.
For many years he was editor and proprietor of "The Artizan" engineering journal.
In 1852 he was on the committee appointed in connection with the Patent-Law Amendment Act.
He took an active part for many years in the mechanical section of the British Association, and in other proceedings connected with mechanical engineering.
Various works abroad were executed under his direction, in Sicily, on the Danube, in Sweden, and at Cronstadt.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1857.
He was an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and a Member of the Society of Arts and of other scientific bodies.
1879 Obituary 
MR. WILLIAM SMITH was born in London on the 5th of November, 1825. He was the son of Mr. Andrew Smith, of the firm of Andrew Smith, Flood and Co., mechanical engineers, of Grimsby and Millwall; the father being the inventor of the wire-rope, box door-springs, and the solid-iron revolving shutters-all of which are now extensively used.
After serving an apprenticeship to his father’s firm, he remained for two years at Millwall and Poplar, in the management of mechanical engineering works ; and from about 1845 to 1852 he was partner in a mechanical engineering business in Princes Street, Leicester Square, and in South Wales; during which period and subsequently he also practised, on his own account, as a consulting engineer.
Mr. Smith was for more than twenty years proprietor and editor of the “Artizan” Journal, with which he ceased to be connected about the year 1870, and which was discontinued at the end of 1871. He was a member of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, and took an active part in the Mechanical Science Section, to which he contributed several important reports. He was closely connected with the London Association of Foremen Engineers and Draughtsmen, the Artizans’ Institute, and similar societies ; and was also a member of the Society of Arts, and of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Besides engagements in England, he was at different periods occupied upon various works in Sweden, Russia, Spain, and Sicily.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 13th of April, 1858.
He died at Liverpool, after suffering from bad health for more than two years, on the 28th of June, 1878.