Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,698 pages of information and 232,163 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Vickers (Manchester)

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1809 'NOTICE is hereby given, that the partnership concern formerly carried on by John Barton, deceased, and the undersigned William Vickers & John Hobson, and lately by the undersigned Margaret Barton, William Vickers & John Hobson, brass founders, and coppersmiths, in Manchester, in the county of Lancaster, is dissolved. Witness the hands of the said Margaret Barton, William Vickers and John Hobson, the 29th day of September, 1809. Signed in the presence of Saml. Jackson, Tho. Hewitt
Also: 'Barton & Hobson, Copper Smiths, Braizers, Brass Founders, Pewterers, &c., beg leave to return sincere thanks to their Friends and the Public in general, for past favours during their late partnership, and respectfully inform them, that the business in future will be carried on by them, at their established Manufactory, near St. Mary's, and their Sale Shop, No 41, Market-street-lane, where Orders will meet the strictest attention, and will gratefully acknowledged. Manchester, 29th September, 1809.
Also 'WILLIAM VICKERS, GRATEFUL for the many favours conferred on him whilst in partnership with Mrs Barton and Mr Hobson, begs leave to inform his Friends and the Public that such partnership being this day dissolved, he has entered on a Foundry, situate in Back Parade, St. Mary’s, in Manchester, nearly adjoining the Works of the late partnership, where he intends to carry on the business of a Brazier and Brass Founder on his own account, and humbly hopes, that a strict attention to the execution of any orders he may be favoured with, shall continue to merit the support he has heretofore experienced. Manchester, 29th September, 1809.'[1]

1822 Coppersmith, St. Mary's Gate, Manchester [2]

1825 Listed as a coppersmith, brazier, brass founder and patent roller maker; house: Broughton. Also listed under 'Roller Makers', as 'patentee of the copper roller, Back South Parade'[3]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Manchester Mercury, 3 October 1809
  2. Manchester Mercury, 9 April 1822
  3. 'History, Directory, and Gazeteer of the County of Lancaster', Vol 2, by Edward Baines and W. Parson