Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,916 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Wood Brothers of Lock Hill Foundry, later moving to Valley Ironworks, Sowerby Bridge, Yorks.
Successors to John Wood and Co (of Sowerby Bridge).
1845 Company established.
Cotton-spinning and engineering company founded at Lock Hill, Sowerby Bridge in 1847 (1845 according to Wood Bros advert). In 1850, John Wood took over the cotton-spinning business, and his brother Richard the engineering business. After a fire in 1880, the company moved to Valley Iron Works.
1877 'Christening a Steam Engine. — Once more have to chronicle the successful mounting of a powerful engine by Messrs. Wood Brothers, Lock Hill Foundry, Sowerby Bridge. The order was received some time ago from Mr. Edward Evans, proprietor of the Aston Brook Flour Mill, and the engine has just been christened by Mr. Evans’s little daughter. The engine is a forty horse power one (nominal), but is guaranteed to two hundred horse power ; it has double cylinders (the high pressure weighing about 2 1/2 tons, and the low pressure five tons), with five feet stroke. The beam weighs over three tons; the fly wheel weighs eighteen tons, and makes (at ordinary speed) forty revolutions per minute.'
1884 Partnership dissolved between Thomas Wood and Nathaniel Wood 
Early 1900s: Made a triple-expansion engine for Rank's flour mill in Hull. It was moved to William Whiteley's mill at Sowerby Bridge. When the mill closed in 1937, the engine was moved to Firth Bros mill at Shepley, Yorkshire, where it drove a 360 kW alternator by ropes. It performed this duty for more than 25 years, when the mill's supplies were taken from the Grid. Cylinders 15", 22" & 34". Corliss valves.
Made a vertical tandem compound engine for a mill in the Craggs Valley near Todmorden. Moved to John Stott and Sons' Der Street Mill in Todmorden in the 1920s, where it ran until the 1950s. HP cylinder 11", LP 22" bore. 280 HP.
1905 Advert. Makers of high-class stationary engines. 
The volumes of George Watkins' photographs include eight Wood Bros engines in Yorkshire