Worcester and Hereford Railway
Sanctioned in 1853.
The line was built to the standard gauge, but the Act provided that the mixed gauge should be laid down if an outlet should be required from the South Wales Railway to the manufacturing districts. 
This 29.75 mile line ran from Worcester to the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway (NA&HR) but funds ran out before two important tunnels were complete and the company became part of the West Midland Railway in 1860. It was finally opened later that year.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1924/10/17
- Encyclopedia of British Railway Companies by Christopher Awdry. Published 1990