Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,535 pages of information and 233,960 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Workington, Cumberland. Telephone: Workington 206. Telegraphic Address: "Mosbay, Workington"
1856 On 6 November, the Workington Haematite Iron Co was established to manufacture pig iron from locally mined heamatite ore. Two blast furnaces were erected at Oldside, just north of the town.
1877 Bessemer steelmaking commenced in June.
1909 The businesses of Moss Bay Hematite Iron and Steel Co, the Workington Iron Co, the Harrington Iron and Coal Co and the Cumberland properties of Cammell Laird and Co, were transferred to a new company - Workington Iron and Steel Co. The Cammell Laird properties consisted of the Solway Works, which dated from 1870 (and previously part of The Beckermet Mining Co Ltd who sold them to Charles Cammell and Co in 1896). The plant operated until 1927
WWI: The Bigrigg Mining Co extracted iron ore from open cast workings South of Whitehaven. The Workington Iron and Steel Co bought the Bigrigg company during the first World War to secure sufficient iron ore supplies for increased war-time production.
1918 Became a branch of the United Steel Companies
1937 British Industries Fair Advert as part of the United Steel Companies. West Coast Hematite, Pig Irons. Malleable and Special Cylinder Irons. Also Rails and Steel Sleepers. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand Nos. D.713 and D.612) 
1951 One of the companies nationalised as part of the nationalisation of the iron and steel industry
1954 One of the United Steel companies returned to private ownership
2006 The works were closed after 130 years of steel production.