Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,939 pages of information and 233,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1839 The company was Simpson and Co, operating from Belgrave Road.
By 1842 it had become William Simpson and Co.
1843 Horizontal duplex pump. Exhibit at Nottingham Industrial Museum
By 1860 it was J. Simpson and Co, and had moved to a new factory by the Thames at 101 Grosvenor Road, Pimlico.
1862 The partnership of James Simpson, William Simpson and James Simpson, Junior carrying on business as manufacturing engineers as Simpson and Co and William Simpson and Co at Grosvenor Rd, Pimlico, and Cubitt Town, Poplar, was dissolved. James Simpson would carry on the business.
1885 An order for high pressure pumps to supply the British Army in Sudan with water was awarded to the Worthington Pumping Engine Co; this caused an outcry which brought the matter to the notice of Simpsons who secured sole rights from the Worthington Pump Company of the USA for manufacture of Worthington pumps.
1899 James Simpson and Co's new works were constructed at Lowfield, Balderton, Newark.
1917 Name changed to Worthington-Simpson Ltd when control passed into the hand of American associates.
1920 Horizontal Engine with gear drive for Watford Waterworks (Eastbury Station)
1926 Secured the order for a surface condensing plant for the 15,000 kilowatt turbo alternators installed in the Leicester Corporation electricity station at Freemans Meadow.
1926 Two triple expansion pumping engines for Kempton Park Pumping Station. Commissioned in 1928 and 1929. See Kempton Great Engines
1936 The company left Grosvenor Road, and the works were demolished
1936-8 Direct-Acting Pumps for Wisbech Waterworks (Marham Station)
1937 Pump manufacturers. 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1945 Advert. Pumping equipment. Supplying for over a century
1951 Advert. Pumping equipment
1961 Manufacturers of pumps, compressors and heat exchange equipment. 1,300 employees. 
1969 US company Studebaker-Worthington Inc took over the company after battle with Weir Pumps. Weir Group subsequently acquired 50% of the equity of a new JV company Worthington Weir which would handle international sales of the products of the 2 parent companies