Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Arthur Holroyd Sears

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:04, 1 August 2016 by AlanC (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Arthur Holroyd Sears (c1875-1944)

1945 Obituary [1]

ARTHUR HOLROYD SEARS, who died on the 18th September, 1944, at the age of 69, received his engineering education at Finsbury Technical College and his practical training with Chamberlain and Hookham and with Bertram Thomas, Ltd. In 1900 he was appointed Resident Engineer of the Llandrindod Wells Electric Light and Power Co. Three years later he joined the engineering staff of the London County Council, with whom he remained until his retirement in 1940. He was at first employed on the settlement of meter disputes and on similar duties which the Council carries out under the Electric Lighting Acts. He was next made responsible for installation work in a large number of buildings and services, including the complete equipment of the County Hall. He also became an acknowledged expert on lifts.

Under the Local Government Act of 1929, the Council took over more than a hundred hospitals and institutions, and Sears took charge of all the electrical work involved. Many of the installations were old and inadequate, and the renewal of these installations, the equipment of new buildings, and the installation of X-ray and electro-medical apparatus occupied him and a number of assistants for many years. His capacity for work, his judgment and organizing ability, contributed in no small measure to his success. He will be remembered by all who knew him for his quiet and unruffled manner and for his unfailing kindliness, which characterized all his actions. Since his retirement he had been living at Milford-on-Sea. He is survived by his widow and three sons.

He joined The Institution as a Student in 1894 and was elected an Associate in 1898, an Associate Member in 1902 and a Member in 1912.

See Also


Sources of Information