Ashbury, Sumner & Co of Manchester
- 1882 'A new engineering works has been opened in Manchester by Messrs. Ashbury, Sumner, and Co. for the manufacture of gas engines'
- Slater's Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1883 (Part 2) lists Ashbury, Sumner & Co as engineers & gas engine makers, hoist manufacturers and pump makers
- 1883 Producing the Manchester Reversible Gas Engine (see advert). The engine had a number of advanced features, and was patented by HERBERT SUMNER, WILLIAM LEES, THOMAS ASHBURY and RICHARD W B SANDERSON . Little is known about the company or its products, and the company did not feature in the 1886 Slater’s Directory
- The office address was 28a Market St, the address being shared with Thomas Ashbury. Works address: 65 Sackville Street
Sources of Information
- Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 25th November 1882
-  1883 US Patent for the engine