Beaumont of Leeds produced motorcycles from 1920 to 1922, and again from 1945 to 1947.
The company was run by Monty Beaumont and his brothers.
1920 The first machines were produced, all with two-speed gearboxes, fitted with 269cc Wall two-stroke and 348cc sv Blackburne engines. More importantly, they built a prototype using a Redrup three-cylinder radial engine. Monty Beaumont became so obsessed by the concept that he produced paper designs for motorcycles with this engine.
1922 The list included a 348cc two-stroke and 399cc four-stroke machine, but it was their last year.
1945-1947 After a gap of many years, promotional leaflets and other advertising publicized a new range of Beaumont motorcycles. These had telescopic forks and a twin-engine set across a rigid frame. Beaumont became involved with the design of the Kendall People's Car, but the few built had French Grégoire flat-twin engines. There was a shady side to Beaumont's life and at one point he was imprisoned for false pretences.
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw. Published 2007. ISBN 978 1 8401 3967 9