Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Blackfriars Bridge Railway Station"

From Graces Guide
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:Im2010Wik-BlackFriarsRly.jpg|thumb| Blackfriars Bridge Railway Station. ]]
[[Image:Im2010Wik-BlackFriarsRly.jpg|thumb| Blackfriars Bridge Railway Station. ]]
 
[[Image:Im1868EnV25-p008.jpg ‎|thumb| 1868. ]]
‎‎[[Image:Im1868EnV25-p009.jpg ‎|thumb| 1868. ]]
‎‎[[Image:Im1868EnV25-p022.jpg ‎|thumb| 1868. ]]
‎‎
Blackfriars Bridge railway station was a railway station on the [[London, Chatham and Dover Railway]] (LCD&R). It was constructed in 1864 and was originally the terminus for the line coming north from Herne Hill via Loughborough Junction. It was part of a scheme by the company to extend into the City of London.
Blackfriars Bridge railway station was a railway station on the [[London, Chatham and Dover Railway]] (LCD&R). It was constructed in 1864 and was originally the terminus for the line coming north from Herne Hill via Loughborough Junction. It was part of a scheme by the company to extend into the City of London.


Later in 1864 the line opened to Ludgate Hill and this station became a through station.
Later in 1864 the line opened to Ludgate Hill and this station became a through station.
The station also had goods handling facilities and a warehouse with hydraulic lifts on a system devised by Sir [[William Armstrong|W. Armstrong]]<ref>The Engineer 1878/06/21</ref>


In 1885, with the opening of St Pauls Station (later renamed [[Blackfriars Railway Station|Blackfriars]]), it was no longer deemed necessary for passenger requirements, and remained open solely as a goods station. It remained in this capacity into the 1960s until it was finally shut completely in 1964, outlasting several other stations on the line such as Camberwell which was closed down in 1916.
In 1885, with the opening of St Pauls Station (later renamed [[Blackfriars Railway Station|Blackfriars]]), it was no longer deemed necessary for passenger requirements, and remained open solely as a goods station. It remained in this capacity into the 1960s until it was finally shut completely in 1964, outlasting several other stations on the line such as Camberwell which was closed down in 1916.

Latest revision as of 16:41, 23 June 2021

Blackfriars Bridge Railway Station.
1868.

‎‎

1868.

‎‎

1868.

‎‎ Blackfriars Bridge railway station was a railway station on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCD&R). It was constructed in 1864 and was originally the terminus for the line coming north from Herne Hill via Loughborough Junction. It was part of a scheme by the company to extend into the City of London.

Later in 1864 the line opened to Ludgate Hill and this station became a through station.

The station also had goods handling facilities and a warehouse with hydraulic lifts on a system devised by Sir W. Armstrong[1]

In 1885, with the opening of St Pauls Station (later renamed Blackfriars), it was no longer deemed necessary for passenger requirements, and remained open solely as a goods station. It remained in this capacity into the 1960s until it was finally shut completely in 1964, outlasting several other stations on the line such as Camberwell which was closed down in 1916.

The station is situated on the Southern Bank of the Thames, directly opposite what is now Blackfriars station and connected to it via the Blackfriars Railway Bridge. Until the mid-twentieth century trains along the line used the original 1864 bridge built by the LCD&R, but it was not considered strong enough for modern trains, and it was partially dismantled in 1984 and the traffic now flows entirely over the newer bridge. Of the older bridge just the abutments remain, leaving an odd appearance in the River Thames

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1878/06/21