of Northgate Works, Chester.
1898 Brookhirst and Co founded by John Arthur Hirst and Percy Shelley Brook. Manufacture of switchgear began with a staff of twelve.
1908 the firm had expanded; modern works were built at Newry Park, with 2 parts - one for the manufacture of direct-current control gear, and the other for the manufacture of alternating-current control gear, and a range of small power control gear, for motors up to about 10 h.p.
1925 Purchased Cantie Switches of Nottingham.
1937 Manufacturers of electric motor control gear.
1943 Metal Industries acquired Electrical Switchgear and Associated Manufacturers Ltd, which owned Brookhirst Switchgear Ltd.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 14 August 1943
- The Times, 16 August 1960