Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "C. H. Curtis and Co"

From Graces Guide
 
Line 3: Line 3:
1862 The company appears to have started following the dissolution of the partnership of Thorne and Curtis, described in the Edinburgh Gazette as spirit merchants, agents and coopers and in the 1861 Slater's Directory as distillery bonded store keepers in Manse Lane, Greenock.
1862 The company appears to have started following the dissolution of the partnership of Thorne and Curtis, described in the Edinburgh Gazette as spirit merchants, agents and coopers and in the 1861 Slater's Directory as distillery bonded store keepers in Manse Lane, Greenock.


1875 Between 1875 and 1900, the company operated [[Auchentoshan Distillery]].  
1875 Between 1875 and 1900, the company operated [[Auchentoshan Distillery]], on the opposite bank of the River Clyde.  


1910 Following the retirement from the business of William Hamlyn Curtis, the firm was amalgamated with that of [[Gilmour Thomson and Co]], a Glasgow firm who were whisky merchants and the proprietors of the Glencadam Distillery in Brechin.  
1910 Following the retirement from the business of William Hamlyn Curtis, the firm was amalgamated with that of [[Gilmour Thomson and Co]], a Glasgow firm who were whisky merchants and the proprietors of the Glencadam Distillery in Brechin.  

Latest revision as of 10:50, 26 May 2021

Whisky distillers and wine and spirits merchants, Greenock

1862 The company appears to have started following the dissolution of the partnership of Thorne and Curtis, described in the Edinburgh Gazette as spirit merchants, agents and coopers and in the 1861 Slater's Directory as distillery bonded store keepers in Manse Lane, Greenock.

1875 Between 1875 and 1900, the company operated Auchentoshan Distillery, on the opposite bank of the River Clyde.

1910 Following the retirement from the business of William Hamlyn Curtis, the firm was amalgamated with that of Gilmour Thomson and Co, a Glasgow firm who were whisky merchants and the proprietors of the Glencadam Distillery in Brechin.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • Edinburgh Gazette 22 July 1862
  • Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1861
  • Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1878
  • Alfred Barnard "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom" (1887)
  • Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1903
  • Edinburgh Gazette 27 December 1910
  • https://scotchwhisky.com/whiskypedia/1812/auchentoshan/
  • https://www.auchentoshan.com/history