C. H. Curtis and Co
Whisky distillers and wine and spirits merchants, Greenock
1862 The company appears to have started following the dissolution of the partnership of Thorne and Curtis, described in the Edinburgh Gazette as spirit merchants, agents and coopers and in the 1861 Slater's Directory as distillery bonded store keepers in Manse Lane, Greenock.
1875 Between 1875 and 1900, the company operated Auchentoshan Distillery.
1910 Following the retirement from the business of William Hamlyn Curtis, the firm was amalgamated with that of Gilmour Thomson and Co, a Glasgow firm who were whisky merchants and the proprietors of the Glencadam Distillery in Brechin.
Sources of Information
- Edinburgh Gazette 22 July 1862
- Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1861
- Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1878
- Alfred Barnard "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom" (1887)
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1903
- Edinburgh Gazette 27 December 1910