Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,535 pages of information and 233,960 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cammell, Laird and Co. of Birkenhead, Cheshire and Cyclops Steel and Iron Works, Sheffield.
Cammell, Laird and Co. was formed in 1903 when the Sheffield company Charles Cammell and Co took over the Birkenhead years of Laird Brothers. This enabled the new company to manufacture armoured warships within its own jurisdiction, which was an arrangement favoured by the Royal Navy at the time. It continued trading until 1953.
1903 Company name changed. The business of the Mulliner and Wigeley Co was acquired, and later that year, the business of shipbuilders and engineers, Laird Brothers of Birkenhead, was purchased and the name was changed to its present title. 
1900s After establishing itself, the new company set out on a programme of modernisation. More land was acquired at the Southern end of the Birkenhead yard. The area of the yard was increased to 98.5 acres and it had the largest private wet dock in Britain. However, this period of expansion also happened at almost exactly the same moment as the freight slump. Consequently, only small ships were built at this time. Financial losses were made on all ships up to 1909. William, John and Henry Laird had died, and the company was now managed by their sons J. Macgregor Laird (son of John, senior partner), Roy M. Laird and J. W. P. Laird. Ratsey Bevis was also a fourth director. 
1905 Coventry Ordnance Works was set up by a consortium of British shipbuilding firms John Brown, Cammell, Laird and Co and Fairfield in order to compete with the duopoly of Vickers and Armstrong Whitworth.
1909 The yard completed the largest sand pump dredger in the world: Leviathan. From here onwards, the yard made longer passenger/cargo liners mainly for South American companies. Later, passenger liners were made for Norwegian-Amerika line.
1912 The largest floating dock in the world was completed for the Admiralty in 1912. It was 640 feet long and weighed 32,000 tons. By 1912, there were no longer any members of the Laird family on the board, the Chairman became William Lionel Hitchens who remained in post until 1940.
1914 Manufacturers of all kinds of Steel, Files, Tyres, Axles, Springs, Buffers, Rails and Accessories, Forgings and Castings for all purposes, Armour and projectiles. Engineers and Boilermakers. Shipbuilding in all its branches.
1914 The train ferry Leonard was launched on 17th January; it served as a floating bridge for the crossing of the Lawrence River and Quebec by the National Transcontinental Railway Company of Canada. The bridge itself was completed in 1920 and Leonard became redundant, being later converted into a tanker.
WWI During the War, the yard made submarines as well as liners and continued manufacturing ships for Norway (who were neutral during the War and therefore exempt from the British Governments restriction on manufacturing for other countries). In addition five light cruisers of "C" class, six destroyers, two escorts and eight submarines were built during the war.
WWI During the War, the Birkenhead yard refitted and converted several steamers for war service, the yard also made seaplane carriers, and repaired over 500 ships. In addition, three "WAR" standard tramps were completed towards the end of the war along with two "AO" type tankers.
1917 Nottingham factory was reorganised to produce 18 pounder and 6 inch field guns, and became a National Ordnance Factory
In the early 1920s the yard won a number of contracts to build battleships, destroyers and liners. Most of the work carried out by the yard at this time was for the Admiralty.
Between 1920 and 1930 over 44 passenger/cargo liners, banana ships and cargo ships were completed too.
1924 Advert says they are steelmakers, shipbuilders, engineers, railway carriage and wagon makers. Works at Sheffield, Nottingham, Penistone and Birkenhead. 
1925 Annual Review "Like other firms, Cammell Laird and Co. suffered from foreign competition and price-cutting during the past year, and in the annual review of their activities they dealt with this point, and with the depression in shipbuilding. Railway materials such as tyres, axles and springs, had always been one of the company's chief lines of production, and the demand for them was fairly satisfactory. The new tyre plant at Penistone was admirably adapted to very rapid and economic production, and the Cyclops Works (Sheffield) turned out axles with equal facility. During 1925 the railway rolling stock industry continued to suffer from the effects of the general trade depression. Conditions improved slightly in comparison with the previous year. Competition from continental manufacturers, possessing as they did strong advantages in respect of wages, cost of material etc. remained very keen.
In such circumstances, the steel carriage and wagon works of the firm at Nottingham were well employed during the year, while several important orders, which were to serve to keep the factory busy for some time to come, were now in hand. There was a slight improvement in the rolling stock business of the Leeds Forge Co, but owing to keen foreign competition prices remained very low. In spite of abnormal conditions, however the company was successful in securing a number of important orders, both for home and foreign railways. The plant for the production of pressed steel parts for rolling stock has been fairly well-employed.
A large number of pressed steel bogies were supplied to the home railways for carriage stock, and a number of carriage underframes have been ordered for the Indian State Railways. The steel works, boiler furnace and plate departments have only worked intermittently throughout the year. The slump in shipbuilding was reflected in the number of corrugated furnaces made, which was somewhat less that in the preceding twelve months. The year was probably the worst within memory for the Lancashire boiler trade, and the tonnage from the plate department was slightly below that of 1924. There were however, encouraging signs of an improvement in the cotton industry, upon which the Lancashire boiler trade depended to a large extent. As so many renewals were necessary as soon as normal conditions were obtained, some improvement in this department was confidently anticipated in the coming year."
1926 July: Received an order from London and North Eastern Railway for two additional Sentinel-Cammell coaches and thirty-four all steel luggage brake vans. The firm's associated company, the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Co has also received an order from the London and North-Eastern Railway for four articulated trains comprising thirty two coaches in all.
1926 December: Restarted the tyre mills at Penistone.
1927-8 The Nottingham factory produced 40 motor coaches and 120 trailer coaches for the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway electrification. They were transported from the factory on bogies hauled by a Fowler traction engine to a newly-built wharf on the River Trent. There, they were each lifted by sheerlegs onto one of five barges built for Cammell Laird by Joseph S. Watson and Co, and towed to Hull Docks for shipment.
1927 See Aberconway for information on the company and its history
1927 Also see Aberconway for information on the company and its history
1927 Also see Aberconway for information on the company and its history.
1927 Robert S. Johnson, who had previously been a director of Workman, Clark and Co was appointed Managing Director following the death of Sir George Carter. He remained in control of the Birkenhead yard upon becoming chairman in 1942 until his death in 1951. Johnson's son Robert W. Johnson was then appointed as Managing director and maintained control over the into the 1960s.
1928 Merger of companies in the steel industry announced, involving parts of Vickers, Vickers-Armstrongs and Cammell, Laird and Co. This would involve all of the steel interests of the 3 contributing groups, except for interests in guns, ammunition and tanks. A new company would be created to take over these interests: the English Steel Corporation Ltd. The constituent parts from Cammell, Laird and Co were:
1929 The railway stock business was merged with Metropolitan Carriage, Wagon and Finance Co to form Metropolitan Cammell Carriage, Wagon and Finance Co (otherwise known as Metro-Cammell).
1929 'MONSTER CASTING.
SHEFFIELD TRANSPORT FEAT
An unprecedented feat of transport, in which Sheffield has a special interest, was performed by the railway authorities, yesterday, when a huge casting, weighing 114 tons, was sent, on a specially constructed truck, from Sheffield to Openshaw.
The casting was made by Cammell Laird and Co., Ltd., and it was sent to the English Steel Corporation’s works at Openshaw.
It is the first time a casting of this weight has been moved by rail,, and the truck on which it travelled is the only one in England.
A curious feature of the journey was that it was necessary for the casting, which has been cooling for two days at Messrs. Cammell’s Laird's works, to remain warm until it reached Openshaw. It was feared that the rush of air caused by the movement of the train would make it cool too rapidly, and shrink. Both ends of the casting, which is hollow, were, therefore, bricked up to protect the inner surface of the metal.
The weight of the huge casting rested on wooden supports, and it was secured by thick iron chains. The truck was loaded and prepared for the journey in less than one hour.
A special train was used to transport the great load to Openshaw. The truck was a "weltroll", weighing 70 tons, with an overall length of 83 feet.
A similar casting, which weighed 110 tons, was sent from Sheffield to Openshaw last Sunday. It was despatched at 1.15 and it reached Openshaw at 5.40.'
1930s The yard made a wide variety of ships during the 30s including tankers, ferries, Great Lakes traders, deep sea tankers and a coastal tanker. However, as with many other companies, the yards closed for two years between 1931-33 and it was only thanks to the Admiralty bringing some orders forward that it was able to reopen again. The Depression hit the yard badly, and in 1932 the company's capital had to be reduced by £3.5M. However, things picked up again from 1934/5 when a number of Admiralty orders re-stimulated the market. One of these orders was the Ark Royal, the largest vessel ever launched from the yard at a cost of £3M in 1937. From 1935-39 the Birkenhead yard completed over 20 merchant ships. On 1st June 1939 the yard's new "T" class submarine HMS Thetis sank and 99 naval and yard workers were killed.
1936 The Nottingham ordnance factory was purchased by the Government. Throughout World War Two it produced 2 pounder guns and 5.5 inch shells
WWII - The yard made a number of battleships, destroyers, sloops and submarines, in total 106 ships were manufactured during the war. This amounted to a warship every 20 days during the six and a half years of war. The repair yard also repaired over 2000 vessels of varying types.
1950s In the post-war years, the yard mainly made tanker and cargo-liner/bulk carriers although it did also make an aircraft carrier and a passenger liner too. From 1947-1982, the yard made over 60 tankers. Other important output included 39 cargo-liners (1946-66) and 15 ferries (1946-68). Finally, the yard had a consistent naval output for the twenty years of 1950-70.
1953 Private Company.
1961 Shipbuilders and engineers, undertaking important contracts for the British, Dominion and Foreign Governments. 12,000 employees. 
1964 Plan developed to split the operations into 3 distinct activities, each with its own management and admin activities:
The shipbuilding company was not profitable due to the strength of international competition and industrial action but there was also a shortage of skilled labour on Merseyside.
1965 The Shiprepairers business acquired its main rival on the Mersey
1965 June: Cammell, Laird was split into two different companies:
The new ship repairing company constructed a new large dry-dock which enabled it to keep in the forefront of repairing.
1969 The Metro Cammell business was renamed Cammell Laird (Metro)
1970 The company made a major loss due to problems in shipbuilding, exacerbated by the investment in establishing the capacity to build Polaris submarines, and losses on existing contracts. The situation was not helped by the diversification activities making less profit than had been expected. The financial crisis was averted by quick action by the Labour Government, who took a 50 percent share in the shipbuilding company which was then renamed Cammell Laird Shipbuilders. The Laird Group retained the other 50% (as well as the Shiprepairing business) but by this stage, the yard’s customers were edgy about ordering from them. The shiprepair business remained with Laird Group and there was close working relationship between the two Cammell Laird companies
1970 Having divested all of the steel interests, the name of Cammell Laird was changed to The Laird Group. Sold the one-third holding in Brown Brothers and Co to the other 2 partners for a nominal sum