Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,361 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Eccleston, Chorley
1885 Formation of Carrington, Woods and Co as a partnership
1891 Directory (Chorley): Listed as Cotton manufacturers. More details
1891 Directory (Preston): Listed as Cotton spinners and manufacturers. More details
1891 Directory (Nelson): Listed as Cotton spinner and manufacturers. More details
Later traded as Carrington and Dewhurst
1909 Formal transfer to Carrington and Dewhurst Ltd
1928 Incorporation of Carrington and Dewhurst Ltd, controlled by H W Carrington ( - 1950) and S H Sagar - Carrington and Sagar Ltd
1929 Decision to stop cotton weaving in favour of rayon weaving
By 1934 the conversion to rayon had been completed
WWII Produce balloon fabric, nylon parachute cloth and utility rayon cloth; New Mill was closed from 1941 to 1944
Postwar: established an engineering division because of the shortage of machinery
1950 Incorporated as a private company. Converted into a public company Carrington and Dewhurst. Facilities were:
1962 Carrington and Dewhurst was the largest maker of filament fabrics in Europe. As part of a policy of developing a vertically integrated group of companies involved in man-made fibre cloths, acquired Grout and Co
1963 Further vertical integration was achieved when Bradford Dyers Association acquired a stake of 7.5 percent in the company as part of an agreement to work closer on development of new fabrics and finishes; the cash would be used to reduce the overdraft. Soon after Courtaulds acquired 10 percent of the company, helping to ensure use of their fibres by the largest of the British specialist weavers in man-made fibres; ICI followed suit in November taking a 9 percent interest which put the company finances in a good position for expansion.
1964 Continued acquiring related companies. Name changed to Carrington and Dewhurst Group
1966 A joint company might be formed with the Airborne Industries in connection with use of balloons for logging in Canada. Acquired J. Mandleberg (Dyers). Further loan from ICI. Margins were constrained by lower priced imported goods
1970 Recognition that the company's foray into Europe, in support of ICI's strategy for its fibres, had been a costly mistake. ICI acquired Viyella and later in the year Carrington and Dewhurst, forming Carrington Viyella of which ICI owned 64 percent.