Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,485 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Charles Lambert Druitt

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 11:15, 20 January 2021 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Charles Lambert Druitt (1888-1916)

1917 Obituary [1]

Lieut. CHARLES LAMBERT DRUITT, Seaforth Highlanders, was born at Christchurch, Hants, on 14th October 1888.

After attending a preparatory school at Southbourne, he went to King's School, Canterbury, and on leaving there in 1907 he took the three years' course at the Central Technical College, South Kensington, obtaining the College Diploma.

In 1910 he worked for one year in the locomotive shops of the Barry Railway Co., South Wales, and then was articled for three years to Mr. P. C. Tempest, the chief engineer of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, and subsequently was engaged as assistant district engineer on that line.

In 1915 he joined the 9th Seaforth Highlanders (Pioneers) as 2nd Lieutenant, and was engaged in the Battle of the Somme from its commencement.

In August 1916 he was promoted to be full Lieutenant, and was mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig's dispatch of 13th November.

He was killed near Eaucourt l'Abbaye on 13th October 1916, at the age of twenty-eight.

He became a Graduate of this Institution in 1912.

1917 Obituary [2]

CHARLES LAMBERT DRUITT, born 14th October, 1888, at Christchurch, was killed in action 13th October, 1916.

After engineering training under Mr. P. C. Tempest, M.Inst.C.E., he became assistant to the District Engineer, at Ashford, of the South-Eastern and Chatham Railway. At the time of his death he was a Lieutenant in the Seaforth Highlanders, and had been mentioned in despatches.

He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution 12th January, 1915.

See Also


Sources of Information