Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Tylden-Wright (1832-1900)
1900 Obituary 
CHARLES TYLDEN-WEIGHT, youngest son of the late Rev. E. C. Wright, rector of Pitsford, Northamptonshire, and perpetual curate of Bradley, near Stafford, was born on the 24th April, 1832.
After being educated at Marlborough College and at the Royal School of Mines, he studied at Freiburg in Saxony and at Liege.
In 1857 he became Assistant to Mr. John Lancaster at the Kirkless Hall Collieries, Wigan, and in 1860 he was appointed by the Duke of Newcastle Resident Engineer and Managing Director of the Shireoaks Colliery, one of the deepest and most extensive collieries in the midland counties, raising half-a-million tons per annum.
In the same year, on his marriage with Elizabeth, only child of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir J. M. Tylden, of Milstead Manor, Sittingbourne, he assumed the name of his wife’s family in addition to his own.
Mr. Tylden-Wright remained at Shireoaks until 1886, when he was appointed Chief Agent of the Dudley Estate during the minority of the present Earl. He held that post until 1890.
At the time of his death, which took place at Mapperley Hall, Nottingham, on the 8th August, 1900, he was Chairman of the Shireoaks Company, a Director of the Monckton Main Collieries, of Messrs. J. and G. Wells, Limited, and of the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation Company, and Viewer to the Duchy of Lancaster in the West Riding of Yorkshire, to the Duke of St. Albans, and to Mr. Webb, of Newstead Abbey. He also served as a Justice of the Peace for the counties of Nottingham, Worcester and Stafford.
Mr. Tylden-Wright was elected a Member of the Institution on the 4th December, 1883.
1900 Obituary 
CHARLES TYLDEN-WRIGHT, who died on August 8, 1900, at his residence, Mapperley Hall, Nottingham, at the age of sixty-eight, after a few days' illness, was one of the leading authorities on coal-mining in Great Britain. After a course of study at the Royal School of Mines and at Freiberg and Liege, he occupied from 1858 to 1886 the position of managing director of Shireoakes Colliery. From 1886 to 1890 he was chief agent to the Earl of Dudley.
He was chairman of the Shireoaks Company, director of the Monckton Mains Collieries, and of the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation Company. He was viewer to the Duke of St. Albans, to Mr. Webb, of Newstead Abbey, and to the Duchy of Lancaster. He was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and a Fellow of the Geological Society, and was the author of several important memoirs on technical subjects. He was a Justice of the Peace for Nottingham, Worcestershire, and Staffordshire.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1889.