Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,536 pages of information and 233,962 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Makers of turbine generators and various equipment for ships, of Gateshead-upon-Tyne.
1883 Charles Algernon Parsons became a junior partner at Clarke, Chapman and Co, in charge of the new electrical department. Parsons concentrated on efforts to devise a high-speed engine for driving directly the newly introduced electric generators, as well as developing a high speed generator.
1884 Electric winch introduced.
1884 Parsons produced his steam turbine patent. The first Parsons turbo-generator was completed in 1884 and is now preserved in the London Science Museum; by 1888 about 200 were in service, mainly for lighting on ships. The partners also worked with Joseph Swan on filament lamps.
1886 Experimented with searchlights for use on ships, which led to the establishment of the Electrical Installation Department.
1888 Glasgow exhibition. Showed a duplex-pump windlass, steering gear, winch, capstan, and a small electric generator. Named as Clarke, Chapman Parsons and Company.
1889 Parsons left the partnership and founded C. A. Parsons and Co at Heaton.
Subsequently the company became Clarke, Chapman and Co