Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,919 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The George and William Clayton (brothers) and their brother in law P. or R. Walshman
Mr Walshman's share of the partnership was bought out by the Clayton brothers in 1786 and William jnr taken into the business on the death of his father in 1823.
Clayton and Walshman, Keighley cotton spinners
Langcliffe High Mill was one of Yorkshire’s earliest and largest cotton spinning mills. It was built in 1783-4 by Claytons and Walshman and had early Arkwright cotton spinning machines installed. The original mill had 14 bays and was five storeys high. In the early 19th century it was greatly enlarged when a steam engine was brought in to supplement the water power. The company began weaving cotton in the 1820s with the power looms eventually being housed in an additional single storey building known as Langcliffe Shed built around 1840 less than half a mile down stream. The business closed down in the mid-1950s.