Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,535 pages of information and 233,960 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Cosmos Lamp Works

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 11:08, 1 February 2018 by AlanC (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
June 1923. Cosmos Lamps.
6th January 1939.
22nd March 1941.

1915 A lamp factory at Brimsdown, Middlesex, which had belonged to a German company, was taken over by the Public Trust Custodian.

1917 British Westinghouse acquired the factory to make drawn-wire filament lamps under the trade name Cosmos. The Cosmos Lamp Works Ltd was formed on July 23, 1917.

1919 Part of the new Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Company when it was formed [1].

Post-WWI Metropolitan-Vickers established an experimental laboratory to design radio receivers.

1922 Autumn: an advertising campaign presented the Cosmos crystal-type receiver; soon followed by valve-type Radiophones.

1924 development work in the research department produced the Cosmos Shortpath valve. This was a radical change in construction with smaller clearances between electrodes than previous valves.

1928 As part of the rationalization involved in joining with BTH to form AEI, Metropolitan-Vickers's merchandising businesses, including Cosmos, were transferred to Edison Swan Electric Co. The domestic appliance work was mainly transferred to Harcourts and the Cosmos works concentrated on the manufacture of lamps and valves.

1929 AEI advertised for an engineer to join its valve factory, Cosmos Lamp Works.

1929 Edison Swan Electric Co took on valve production for the whole of AEI (presumably at Cosmos).

1934 Cosmos Lamp Works employees contributed to a fund after a mining disaster[2].

1949 The Edison Swan Electric Co absorbed Cosmos Manufacturing Co manufacturer of valves at Brimsdown and Sunderland[3].

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Times, 3 October 1919
  2. The Times 8 October 1934
  3. The Times, 14 June 1949