Engine manufacturers, of Sandiacre, near Nottingham.
1890 Company founded as Wells Brothers of Nottingham.
1898 Public company formed, Premier Gas Engine Co.
1919 The company was bought by Crossley Brothers
1962 Agreement to use the French Pielstick design of engines. Production of these engines, intended for ships, railway locomotives and electricity generation, was initially carried out at Nottingham.
1965 Before the Pielstick engines were established in the market, funds ran out and Crossley Brothers had to call in the receivers.
1965 The Sandiacre factory was sold to Peter Brotherhood Ltd; the work done at Sandiacre was transferred to Crossley's Openshaw factory as well as plant concerned with testing and manufacture of Pielstick engines, so that the complete manufacture of Pielstick engines would take place under one roof .
1966 The receivers of Crossley Brothers had reorganised the company and sold the business and assets to some of its subsidiaries. Subsequently Belliss and Morcom acquired Crossley-Premier Engines and Furnival and Co .
1966 Production ceased at Sandiacre.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 2 December 1935
- The Times, 21 June 1965
- The Times, 7 November 1966;
- A-Z of British Stationary Engines by Patrick Knight. Published 1999. ISBN 1 873098 50 2
- 1961 Manufacturers of stationary gas, diesel oil and dual fuel engines. 270 employees.