Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,434 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 66 Victoria Street, London, SW, Manchester and Glasgow, electrical, mechanical and hydraulic engineers.
of 36 Grosvenor Gardens, Westminster (from 1920)
1893 Installed hydro-electric lighting plant at Chatsworth House. Dynamos direct-coupled to water turbines, running at 1000 rpm. 850 incandescent lamps.. The two dynamos were ordered from Siemens Brothers and Co (Order No. A2740). Both were driven by water turbines. One was rated at 300A, 115V, 1000 rpm, and the other at 90A, 150V, 1250 rpm 
1894 Catalogue of electric lighting plant and accessories. 
1898 Formation of Drake and Gorham Electric Power and Traction Co, to take over electric tramways and electricity supply undertakings.
1901 Public company registered on 22 May, to acquire the business of electrical engineers of the same name. 
1914 Electrical, mechanical and hydraulic engineers. Specialities: the application of electricity to light and power; petrol gas and acetylene lighting. 
1916 Took agency for electric trucks (Edison accumulators).
1917-20 Annual reports, in Coventry Archives
1920 Areas of business included electricity generation, industrial and country and town house electrification and electric vehicles.
By 1929 electrical contracting was a major part of the business; also dealt in switchgear, wireless, Duro pumps and water softeners.
1931 Published a list of private houses, churches, institutions, schools, offices, works, etc which had been customers, as well as electric signs, architects and consulting engineers, and municipal electricity supply companies and others
1970 Drake and Gorham (Holdings) was one of about 12 companies investigated for breaching trade practice rules on collusion
1970 Name changed to Drake and Cubitt (Holdings) Ltd; had 3 divisions.
1972 Drake and Cubitt (Holdings) Ltd formed Cubitt Development Corporation in a deal with London and County Securities to exploit property opportunities.
1976 Renamed as Drake and Scull.
Large switch panel. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
First part of a company history here (pdf).