Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1790 The Brunswick Dock was built by John Perry, adjacent to his shipyard at Blackwall, to the design of the civil engineer John Powsey (c. 1734-1799), District Surveyor for Wapping and Limehouse. It had two basins of above eight acres in all, one capable of holding 30 large East Indiamen and the other a similar number of smaller vessels. Each had separate entrances.
1803 Robert Wigram MP was one of the initial subscribers in the East India Dock Company, later becoming a director.
1806 the Brunswick dock was bought by the East India Dock Co., which had been formed for the purpose, and became the East India Export Dock.
By 1808 the company had constructed an Import Dock, with a separate entrance beyond Perry's basin.
1879 EAST INDIA DOCK EXTENSION. Under the most favourable auspices the East and West India Dock Company on Saturday last opened a new entrance and basin in the East India Docks, ......The whole of the works have been designed and carried out under the supervision of the dock company's engineer, Mr. A. Manning; the resident engineer on the works being Mr. B. Sterockman. Messrs. Merritt and Ashby were the contractors for the dock works and warehouses ; Mr. Henry Turner, their representative, being in charge of the works. The gates and hydraulic machines at the entrance, as well as the hydraulic quay cranes, have been constructed by the East Ferry Road Engineering Company, Limited. The pumping engines of indicated horse-power and the capstans were manufactured by Messrs. Tannett, Walker, and Co., of Leeds, the engines being at the export entrance of the docks, and the hydraulic warehouse cranes, &c., by Messrs. Bells, Lightfoot, and Co., of Newcastle.