Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,441 pages of information and 233,877 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Ernest George Crocker

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 08:40, 4 September 2015 by RozB (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Ernest George Crocker (c1876-1948)

1950 Obituary [1]

"ERNEST GEORGE CROCKER received his general education at Weymouth College, and obtained his technical training at the Merchant Venturers' College, Bristol, and at the Birmingham Municipal College and University College, Bristol. After a brief apprenticeship with Messrs. Belliss and Morcom, Ltd., of Birmingham, and some experience as an improver to Messrs. Tangyes, Ltd., he became, in 1897, a pupil of the chief engineer of the Bristol docks.

On the conclusion of his pupilage three years later he held short appointments as chief draughtsman to the Belfast Harbour Commissioners and as draughtsman in H.M. Dockyard, Portsmouth. In 1903 he was appointed chief draughtsman at H.M. Dockyard, Rosyth, and after holding this position for nine years became chief engineer and superintendent general to the Honourable Bedford Level Corporation. From 1928 to 1930 he was engaged in private practice in Westminster. He then took up an appointment under the Government of Northern Ireland as civil engineer in charge of the River and Loughs Erne, which was followed by that of harbour master and engineer at Ramsgate. In 1935 he was appointed engineer and surveyor to the Poole Harbour Commissioners and held that position until his retirement in 1947. During his period of office he was also in practice on his own account as a consulting engineer, and in the course of the war of 1939-45 acted as harbour master. Mr. Crocker, whose death occurred on 18th October 1948 in his seventy-second year, was elected an. Associate Member of the Institution in 1906, and was transferred to Membership in 1913. He was the author of a paper on "Drainage of the River Ouse Basin", which he presented in 1913."

See Also


Sources of Information