Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,549 pages of information and 233,968 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Lewis (1836-1905)
1906 Obituary 
GEORGE LEWIS, born at Coleorton, Leicestershire, on the 7th April, 1836, was trained under Mr. J. C. Bailey, of Wigan, in the mining branch of the profession, to which his career was subsequently devoted.
Between 1861 and 1866 he was Manager of the Coleorton and Swannington Collieries, Leicestershire, where he sank two shafts, put down winding-plant, erected the necessary machinery and constructed sidings and branch lines.
Shortly after the latter date, Mr. Lewis engaged in independent practice aas mining engineer, and in course of time, became associated with most of the principal collieries and coal-fields of the Midlands, as well as with gypsum and ironstone mines in that district. He was retained as Engineer to the Donisthorpe, Coleorton, Wollaton, Manners, South Leicestershire, Ibstock, Whitewick and other collieries, representing an aggregate annual output of nearly a million tons. From Coleorton he transferred his headquarters to Derby, where he continued to practise until his death, which took place at his residence, Green Hill, Derby, on the 9th November, 1905.
Mr. Lewis was a Fellow of the Geological Society and a Member of the Institution of Mining Engineers, of which he was President in 1893. He was also for some years a member of council of the Mining Association of Great Britain.
He was elected a Member of this Institution on the 3rd February, 1885.