Globe and Simpson
Globe and Simpson Ltd of Sheffield a wholesaler, retailer and repairer of electrical and other motor goods, was formed in 1921 to acquire an existing business.
In 1937, the whole of the share capital of the company, which was then a Lucas Battery Service Agent operating a number of outlets in Yorkshire and elsewhere, was purchased by Joseph Lucas Ltd, through nominees, for £64,708. According to Globe & Simpson's Board's minutes, its Managing Director had understood from Lucas that all Lucas wanted was "sufficient control to be in the position to determine policy and prevent the operation of any policy detrimental to Lucas interests". Shortly after this purchase, the shares in Lucas's subsidiary company, County Electrical Services, were transferred to Globe & Simpson.
In 1939, through Globe & Simpson, Lucas purchased Express Magneto (Repairs) and Electrical Co for the sum of £2,542 : this company became a subsidiary of Globe & Simpson.
Also in 1939, Lucas formed two new companies as subsidiaries of Globe & Simpson. These were Express Electrical Services and Irvine Electrical Services. Each of these subsidiaries operated a number of outlets. The later history and activities of this group of subsidiary companies, whose ownership by Lucas has remained undisclosed, is dealt with later
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Wholesaler of CAV and Lucas components