1849 Viper was twin-screw ship which was used for comparative tests against her sister ship HMS Waterwitch which was equipped with Ruthven's system of hydraulic propulsion.
1899 Another ship carrying the name H.M.S. Viper was launched; she was the first turbine powered-destroyer to be tested. She was built by Hawthorn Leslie and Co
1900 Demonstrated by the Royal Navy off Porstmouth, averaging 31.1 knots over 6 runs at 2/3 maximum power.
1901 Lost on rocks off Alderney in foggy conditions.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 17 August 1900