Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Harding, Richardson, Rhodes and Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 09:07, 20 August 2020 by PaulF (talk | contribs) (Sources of Information)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


1946. From Machine Shop Magazine of August.

Harding, Richardson, Rhodes and Co of Tower Works, Leeds

1836 T R Harding started a business in Lille, France, making cast steel pins, combs and other mechanical parts in the production of textiles.

1858, he came to Leeds to start a business in England. Originally at works in Great Wilson Street, Holbeck.

1864 His trade expanded so that he was able to build Tower Works in Globe Road, Holbeck.

c.1880 Two other firms began making textile pins - William Rhodes and Co of Barrack Street, Leeds and Richardson, Child, Christy and Co of Horsforth.

1890 Harding retired, to be succeeded by his son, Col T W Harding - presumably renamed as T. R. Harding and Son

Shortly after T W Harding took over at Tower Works, he suggested an amalgamation of the three firms.

1892 The Harding business became a limited liability company. The boards of the three firms from 1892 to 1895 were identical and it is clear from the record-keeping, which was done by the same individual, that the amalgamation had taken place "de facto" before Harding, Richardson, Rhodes and Co Ltd came into being in 1895 and the business of Richardson, Child, Christy and Co and James Rhodes and Co were transferred to the new company.

1896 the Rhodes branch works were closed down

1897 Harding, Richardson, Rhodes and Co bought Robert Cook and Co of Hathersage, near Sheffield, which had been making textile pins for about two hundred years.

1900 the Richardson branch at Horsforth ceased to function.

1900 New factory works. Employ around 500. Produce pins, cards and combs used with textile machinery. [1]

1919 Company changed its name to Harding, Rhodes and Co once the Richardson family had ceased to be involved with the business.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer of 21st December 1900 p622
  • [1] National Archives