Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,863 pages of information and 230,109 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry James Taylor Piercy (1842-1906) of Piercy and Co, Broad Street Engine Works, Birmingham.
1906 Obituary 
HENRY JAMES TAYLOR PIERCY was born in Birmingham on 2nd January 1842.
He served an apprenticeship at the engineering works of Messrs. Phillips, of the same city, and commenced business on his own account in 1863 at the Minerva Works, Broad Street, Birmingham.
In 1874 he removed to the Broad Street Engine Works, carrying on an increasing business as engineers, iron and brass founders, etc.
The firm was converted into a company in 1905, of which he became chairman, with his son - Mr. G. F. Piercy - as managing director. For thirty-five years - 1870 to 1905 - he also practised as a consulting engineer and valuer, and for fifteen years was consulting engineer to the Corporation of Birmingham.
Among the inventions He brought out may be mentioned those of shaft carriers, automatic governors for stationary steam-engines, and improved pneumatic planishing hammers, etc.
His death took place at his residence at Moseley, near Birmingham, on 24th April 1906, at the age of sixty-four.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1876.
1906 Obituary 
HENRY JAMES TAYLOR PIERCY died at his residence at Moseley, near Birmingham, on April 24, 1906, aged sixty-four years.
After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. Phillips, engineers, Birmingham, he began business as Piercy & Co. at Minerva Works, Birmingham, in 1863. In 1874 he removed to Broad Street Engine Works, where the business is still carried on.
In 1905, for family reasons, the business was converted into a limited liability company, Mr. Piercy being chairman and his son managing director. For some thirty-five years Mr. Piercy also practised as a consulting engineer and valuer, and acted in that capacity to the Corporation of Birmingham for fifteen years. He was eminently successful as an expert witness, and at various times took out patents for shaft-carriers, bascules, automatic governors for stationary steam-engines and for pneumatic planishing hammers.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1896.