Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,403 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Hew Stevenson (c1865-1940)
1940 Obituary 
HEW STEVENSON was in the employ of the Swan and Swan United Electric Light Companies from 1880 to 1883, starting at their experimental works at Rock Ferry; he was afterwards transferred to the Newcastle works where he received his training in the various departments. Subsequently he was placed in charge of the pump room department. He joined Messrs. Crompton and Company in 1884 and remained with the firm until 1910.
After serving an apprenticeship in the shops and test room at Chelmsford, he was appointed to the contract department and had charge of many important installations at home and abroad. From 1890 to 1894 he was engineer in charge of the company's London works, and was responsible for the equipment for many well-known public supply stations. Mr. Stevenson, whose death occurred in his seventy-fifth year on 22nd May 1940, was elected a Member of the Institution in 1898.
Since 1910 he had been connected with the Northern Press and Engineering Company, of North Shields, and their associated companies, as chairman and managing director. The Northern Press was eventually acquired by the Westminster Press, Ltd., but Mr. Stevenson retained a seat on the board until his death.